Sometimes our kids hit. Us. A sibling. The dog.
(Or is this just at my house?)
Last night was very sad this way. Homework was involved. Everyone ended up crying.
John ended his evening in a long time-out in the bathroom while Mom put her heart back together.
Today, I shared the deep & wide wisdom of Rosemary Slade, O.T.R. We came up with this plan, and maybe it could help you at your house.
- John and I made an actual paper list of homework items to be done.
- John’s job was to independently mark off each item when completed.
- So when John took a whack at the dog, 5 minutes timeout in the bathroom. (No Mom words. Just into the time-out bathroom and loop the doorknob such that his little nose sticks out and 1 eye can see. Good location so Mom can do her stuff while the phone timer runs out within eye-shot of John.)
- Next time the poor dog got a whack, 5+5 minutes.
- Zero tolerance on hitting anything or anyone.
- Make the consequences hit the soft underbelly of all-things-electronic.
- No hitting. No yelling. From anyone.
Things went quite well the first night, as we built the habits.
Now I have to be consistent.
Maybe this intervention can help at your home.
Peace be with us,